"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year, Fresh Start

I changed the name of the blog (hard to read under the current banner photo) to "Used to Be a Runner."

I ran more than 85000 miles, many of them decades after developing a "career-ending" injury, but the last few years saw a serious deterioration in what I could do. Early in 2013, I was diagnosed with more than 30 (!) running injuries, which largely developed over years of compensating for the major problem, which had become medically untreatable. Being pigheaded, I did several hours per day of rehab exercises for all the injuries and was eventually able to run a few slow miles without pain. Unfortunately, this did not satisfy me and I stopped running entirely. Two months after this, all the "running" injuries returned!

Except for my heel problems (the worst case of Haglund's deformity possible), which are partly genetic, the injuries I have are due to muscle imbalances caused by inactivity - the "sitting disease!" Sitting here, typing this, is making things worse, but it's important to me to start writing about how to deal with these injuries, all too common in runners - piriformis syndrome and iliotibial band syndrome sound familiar? - and perhaps, in the process, I'll get myself back to where I can run.

So (yet again) I'm back to blogging after a short layoff. I needed a place to post my "Dreaded Yearly Fashion Report," anyway.

4 comments:

Olga said...

I went to drop-down menu and was like: WTH? Where did this link come from? :) I might have to change my blog's name too.

Alene Gone Bad said...

I know this "used to be a runner" phase will pass. I, too, am in the process of figuring out how to get off my ass more, I spend way too much time on it. A runner is a runner. You will find a way.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your injuries. I'm losing my battle against injuries as well.
Joe

Londell said...

Welcome back! You can always walk fast....